WB Datadict: Generate Data Dictionaries from Database Schemas
WB Datadict is a plugin for MySQL Workbench Community Edition 6.x. This plugin allows you to generate an HTML data dictionary from the database schema selected in the application.
This entry is out of date. Please visit the website of the plugin to see the latest version and user manual.
Uncompress the file.
Open MySQL Workbench.
Select the option Scripting → Install Plugin/Module.
Browse to the WB Datadict directory (extracted in step 2) and select the file datadict_grt.py.
You should see a message like this:
Plugin Installed Plugin /path/to/datadict_grt.py was installed, please restart Workbench to use it.
Lastly, press OK and restart MySQL Workbench.
- Open a database model file or create a new one (File → New Model).
- Go to Tools → Catalog → Generate HTML Data Dictionary (see Figure 1).
Note that if your Model file has several schemas, you'll have to select the schema for which you want to generate the data dictionary first. To do this:
- Click on the MySQL Model tab.
- In the Physical Schemas section, click on the tab of a schema.
- Generate the data dictionary.
After this, an HTML data dictionary will be generated and displayed in your Web browser. The following image shows the data dictionary for the Sakila sample database that comes with Workbench.
- Version 3 (2015-10-30)
- Updated the text for WB Datadict 1.0.1.
- Version 2 (2014-09-11)
- Updated the text for WB Datadict 1.0.0.