gNewSense 3.1 Released
gNewSense 3.1 has been released. This is a minor update to the current stable version with codename Parkes. Some changes were made to the packages repository, the network-manager application is now installed by default, and some freedom issues were fixed.
gNewSense 3.1 has been released. This is a minor update to the current stable version with codename Parkes. These are the most important changes:
- The correct country-specific package repository (instead of beta.gnewsense.org) is set at installation time.
- Network-manager is included in the live image by default.
- The expert installer no longer suggests to install Debian’s non-free repository.
Current users of gNewSense 3.0 don't have to reinstall. They will get all updates automatically. They should, however, update their software sources, because the installer of gNewSense 3.0 erroneously set the URL of our beta repository as the software source. That repository will be disabled next week, in order to start development on gNewSense 4. So, please update your software sources to the correct ones as soon as possible. You can do this as follows:
- Open System → Administration → Synaptic Package Manager.
- Go to Settings → Repositories.
- Click on each repository that has "beta.gnewsense.org" in the URI and replace "beta.gnewsense.org" with "xx.archive.gnewsense.org", where "xx" is the code of your country.
So, Germans would replace
Expert users can of course edit their /etc/apt/sources.list directly.
✮ Comment ✮